Read Gabor Maté’s “Embraced by the Needle.” Using our Active Reading Techniques, follow the steps, answer the questions, and paste them to our Week 2 Discussion Board. Remember to comment on at least one of your friend’s posts!
Step 1: Read the title, the first paragraph, and the final paragraph. Can you predict the content of the article?
Step 2: Read the article and annotate the text. Here are some reminders to help you:
- Highlight or underline key words and phrases.
- Highlight or underline unfamiliar words and concepts so that you can check them later and write the definitions in the margin.
- Write down questions that come to your mind as you read.
- Make marginal notes that make connections between your background knowledge and concepts in a text.
Question 1: Can you identify the context of the article? Here are some reminders to help you:
- Does the text make reference to a recent historical event?
- Is there a topic that is under debate? If so, are there others who are mentioned as key figures in that debate?
- Is the text speaking about an issue within the cultural setting of a particular nation, city, or ethnic community?
Question 2: Can you identify the purpose of the text? Remember to use our PIE strategy:
PIE = persuade + inform + entertain
Question 3: Can you identify the audience? Remember to consider:
- the relationship of the reader to the general topic.
- the relationship of the reader and the author.
- the relationship of the reader to the author’s general purpose.
- the relationship of the reader and the context.